Friday, February 27, 2009

Mission Statement

Why cheese?

Why not cheese? To be plain, I like cheese. I want to know more about it. I'm mildly adventurous with my cheeses as it is, but really, I can only be as adventurous as the nearest grocery superstore will allow. There's really not all that much adventure to be had with sweaty marble, or your garden variety goat cheese that comes in a freaky looking sausage-type tube with a cartoon goat on the label.

A whole world of cheese is out there, just waiting to be discovered (by me). And I like to eat more than I like to drink, so learning about cheese is more fun for me than learning about wine. I can hold my dairy but I can't hold my liquor.

I'm going to try a different cheese (or two, or four) every week. Living in Toronto, I've got a wealth of fine fromageries at my doorstep, and I plan to visit them all - hopefully more than once, if they're nice. I want to sample international flavours, different cheeses with different aging processes, perhaps make some homemade mac and cheese with some expensive cheese from Italy or Spain. Or Quebec, or Ontario.

Yesterday, I learned that cheese comes from the milk of the following animals:
  • Cows
  • Sheep
  • Goats
  • Buffalo
  • Yaks
  • Llamas
  • Reindeer
  • Camels
Who knew we could get cheese from reindeer and camels? I hope a local cheesemonger carries these cheeses. I'd love to try them.

Enough with the rambling - on with the cheese!

No comments:

Post a Comment